Monday, July 19, 2010

the one that started it all...


meet sweet little flattie...
she came to me in my college years, a gift from my dear childhood friend, annie.
flattie was sent to me from japan, where annie was working as an english teacher at the time.
before flattie embarked on her incredible journey across the sea, annie took some photos of flattie getting ready to be sealed up in her travel envelope or baggie... something of the sort.
but really, before any of that, annie, her sister maggie, and i had created many little scenes with our tiny stuffed friends over the years. when i moved away at age 12, i couldn't wait to get news of juniper and flopper, two small floppy polar bears identical to my own sweet junior anthony bear... pictures and drawings and videos and audio recordings kept the distance between us minimal. and most importantly, kept me smiling through a very difficult point in my life.
i do remember wondering if i'd ever grow out of this sort of stuff, hoping that i wouldn't. and here i am at age 30-something... it still brings me so much JOY!
here's to passing this magic on to the next generation...

2 comments:

Andrea Ropko said...

They truly are tiny things from the heart. I love it!

Miss Wendy said...

thanks, andee!